Where a particular skill is required, recruitment will be based primarily on the qualifications (i.e. past education and employment) of the applicant to best match the skill required for the job. Factors for selection will also include student’s availability to work, number of summers the student has worked, and grade point average. All factors being equal, GPA will be the deciding factor for selection. Students will be utilized as replacements that must fulfill the following essential requirements:
- Ability to work any shift/days (rotating shift)
- Ability to work in any department as placed by human resources (production or general maintenance)
- No circumstances that limit their ability to work at the mill, i.e. vacations, days off, summer school, further interferences with their schedule, etc.
In accordance with these guidelines, it is required that:
- Applicants must be full-time students (12 credits or more per semester) in good academic standing using the opportunity for summer employment to further their education. The program/curriculum attended must be at least eight (8) months in duration, and the student must be returning to school for a full academic year as a full-time student following completion of summer employment.
- Applicants seeking “return” employment must have performed work satisfactorily in prior years, to include working through their last day as stated on their 2017 application cover letter form, and must complete a full academic year during the 2017/2018 school year.
- New applicants must complete a full academic year during the 2017/2018 school year.
- Applicant must be available to attend one (1) of the two (2) scheduled orientation sessions.
- Applicants must be available at the time the job becomes available.
- Applicants must be available to work at least ten (10) consecutive weeks during the May-August “summer break” period.
Procedure for Application
Students interested in summer employment should visit the company’s website at www.appvion.com click on “Career Opportunities”. All students must apply online to Job ID 2017-1649 - Summer Student - Production. Paper applications/resumes will not be accepted. The application must be completed online; no other form of application will be accepted. If you are having trouble accessing your iCIMS account do not contact Human Resources. Contact iCIMS at (800)889-4422. This application must be completed online by Friday, February 2, 2018, by 3:00 p.m. EST. In addition, there are other pieces of information listed below that must be completed and returned to Appvion by Friday, February 2, 2018, by 3:00 p.m. EST in order for your application to be considered. All pertinent information may be dropped off at our Security Center, e-mailed, or mailed to the following address:
Attention: Human Resources/Summer Student Hiring
100 Paper Mill Road
Roaring Spring, PA 16673
Other Information Required in Addition to Online Application. The student must complete the following form and send transcript to Appvion:
Applicant Name: ______________
Did you complete the following?
When will you be available to work? It is the Company's expectation that the student has verified with their college/university that they are available on the dates submitted. E.g. finals, orientation, extracurricular activities, etc. Note: Because the start and end dates are used to determine placement of the student, please ensure that these dates are final. It is not acceptable to enter dates on your application and then ask to change them upon hire.
Start Date: __________
End Date: __________ (Failure to work until this date will result in disqualification from future employment)
Do you have a relative employed at Appvion? Yes No
If yes, relative’s name:_________________
What is your relationship to employee? ____________________ (e.g. son, daughter, grandchild..etc):
Which Orientation Session can you attend? (please pick one):
May 7-11, 2018
May 14-18, 2018
Dates of Spring Break (for post-offer physical/drug & alcohol screen):___________________
Dates of Easter Break (for post-offer physical/drug & alcohol screen):___________________
Cell Phone Number: ___________________ Home Phone Number:___________________
2017 Fall Grades. What is your cumulative GPA?:______________
2018 Spring Schedule (if not reflected on your transcript send a copy of your Spring Schedule with this form). # of credits taken in 2018 Spring Semester: _____
Previously employed with Appvion (if so list dates): __________________
Official Transcript from Registrar is being sent to Appvion
(please list method): Email Fax Mail
I have read the additional information about the application process (further in job posting)
I certify that the above information is accurate and that I have read and understand the requirement for the Summer Student Production Laborer role:
Signature ___________________ Date:_________
Please be aware that a job application is a legal document and you are certifying that all information is correct and accurate.
Additional Information about the Application Process:
- All required school transcripts needs to come from the Registrar’s office in order to be considered official. E-mailed documents must be from the school’s registrar website.
- Your transcripts with your Fall 2017 grades must be submitted by the February 2, 2018 3:00pm EST deadline. If your transcript does not reflect your 2018 Spring Schedule a copy of that must be sent by the deadline as well. You must have at least a 2.0 out of a 4.0 scale to be considered for employment
- Proof of registration for the Fall Semester 2018 will also be required at orientation. A copy of your Fall 2018 Schedule will be sufficient proof. Applicants transferring from one educational institution to another must also present a copy of the acceptance letter and a copy of a cancelled check for the registration fee at the new educational institution.
- First priority for summer openings will be given to the returning eligible dependent students who have previously met job performance (to include working through their final day as outlined on their 2017 cover letter form)/academic criteria.
- Returning students will be notified no later than the mid-March 2018 if employment offers will be extended.
- Second priority will be given to the dependents of full-time active employees applying for the first time who are full-time active students and meet the criteria listed above. All things being equal with selection criteria, grade point average will be the deciding factor.
- First year dependents would be notified if selected after notification of returning students.
- Other applicants/relatives are permitted to apply, but would not be notified until all offers are extended to all eligible dependents of employees.
- Temporary student employees must meet the requirements of the job. This includes availability to work all three scheduled shifts and work any day of the week. Individuals who do not have open availability to work any shift/any day may be denied employment based on business need. All temporary summer replacements will be assigned by the Human Resources Department.
- Once offered a position, post-offer applicants will be required to complete a pre-placement physical examination and drug & alcohol test administered by the facilities occupational health nurse. All first time applicants will be required to complete a physical capability test at the site chosen. This examination will be scheduled by the mill nurse via phone call with each student individually. Dates and times will be offered during normal business hours, Monday-Friday.
- If you are considering an internship opportunity, we expect you to let us know as soon as possible. If an internship is accepted, we expect you to withdraw your application or communicate your intent to not work with Appvion for the summer months of 2018 in a timely manner in order to be considered for future summer employment.
- Based on the current manning requirements and continued satisfactory performance, a temporary employee may work a maximum of three summers.
- Summer vacation replacement employees will be treated as probationary employees in accordance with the Spring Mill Substance Abuse Policy.
- Students selected for employment must complete the prescribed orientation process in its entirety prior to beginning work.
If there are any questions regarding the Summer Vacation Replacement Students, the applicant (not a relative or current employee) should e-mail Human Resources at SpringMillHR@appvion.com. No phone calls please.
Dates to Remember:
Friday, February 2, 2018 3:00pm EST
- On-Line Application needs to be completed.
- Form – Complete the form and submit with following documentation to Human Resources
- Official transcripts from the Registrar are emailed, mailed, or dropped off at the Security Center (must be noted on Form).
Note: All documents must be received by this date in order to be considered for the summer student employment program.
Job Offers to returning Dependents of Full-Time Active Employees will be communicated.
Last dates job offers would be communicated to all other applicants.
May 7-11, 2018 or May 14-18, 2018
Tentative Orientation Dates – Applicants must be available to attend one of these orientations in order to be considered for employment. Please indicate in your cover letter form which orientation session(s) you will be able to attend. You must attend one session in order to be eligible for employment.